Thread: Hi, new here :)
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 15:50   #2
Vicky

I just want to lead off with the fact that I'm a horrible resource in that I don't have a CsV yet, but I wanted to say "hi" because I live right around the corner from you!! My fiance and I also have a husky, and I've been researching CsVs to hopefully become involved with working, showing, and possibly breeding them in the future.

Even though I have yet to meet these dogs in person, I thought I'd give at least a crack at answering your questions from the information I've come across in my research.

If I had to point out the biggest difference between NIs and CsVs, it would be the purpose behind breeding. I'd say that's what really sparks the difference in the dogs. To be quite frank, NIs were bred as mutts from different dog breeds in an attempt to create a dog that just looked more wolf-like. As far as I know, there is no real attempt on the breeders' parts to create a breed with a function beyond selling pets. NIs are not accepted in the AKC, and from what I understand, it isn't even a goal.

With the CsV, there is a very clear understanding of the breed standard, the ideal temperament, and the goal of a working dog straight from day one. The CsV was bred with a purpose from mostly German Shepherd Dogs and in the first stages of the breeding plan, from European wolves. These dogs were meant to work border patrol in Czechoslovakia. The CsV has a very strong work drive as well as developed guarding instinct. They are (from what I hear) more biddable than a husky, but their intelligence makes training them completely different than you would see with a GSD. CsVs ARE accepted in the AKC Foundation Stock Service, and the few owners in the US are hoping to create a national breed club in order to get full registration.

I feel like I'm testing all of my research here, so hopefully actual CsV owners will chime in and correct any mistakes I've made! At the very least, I do know that the CsV is a very hearty working dog, and that if a person is only looking for a companion animal to hang around the house, they will most likely be sorely disappointed! Think about the drive of a working GSD, then add in the stubborn, independent streak you see with breeds like huskies; it's a very rough temperament to live with!