View Single Post
Old 28-07-2005, 01:33   #19
Dharkwolf

Send a message via ICQ to Dharkwolf Send a message via MSN to Dharkwolf Send a message via Skype™ to Dharkwolf

I would just like to clarify the difference between a functionality test (such as the endurance run) and a disqualifying test (such as the dysplasia test)

The object of the dysplasia test is to determine whether or not the dog is likely to develop a serious condition later in life which will very likely be transmissible to their offspring. This test is disqualifying because if a dog possesses such a negative trait, which is known to be composed of a strong genetic factor, then breeding with such a dog would be an irresponsible act as it would likely result in the short term in pups which are weak, and in the long term in the overall decrease in the health and usefulness of the breed.

Therefore, the dysplasia test, is essential, though the precise criteria of what does and does not constitute dysplasia are, from what I have been able to read on the subject, not clearly established scientifically. (If they were, then it would be much simpler to have an international standard for dysplasia!)

However, this does not detract from the usefulness of a functionality test. The object of such a test, for instance the endurance run, is to see if the dog performs as expected. It may or may not give an indication on the quality of the hips, but I am certain that it does give an indication on the quality of the dog. Many factors can influence the endurance run, including the morphology and condition of the hips, lung capacity, state of the tendons and sinew, overall muscular output etc… Therefore, the endurance run does provide useful information about the dog, even though it is in no way a substitute for a dysplasia test, but rather a complement to it.

For instance, even though a dog may have dysplasia A, I would still not use it for breeding if it was incapable of completing a 20 km run. Similarly I would not use a dog with high dysplasia even if it could complete a 100 km run easily. I fully agree with Hartl when he says that it is better to have BOTH the dysplasia and the functionality test. Anyone who believes that the run can be a substitute for the dysplasia or vice versa has failed to comprehend the usefulness of these tests.

Bottom line: Know your dogs well. Know your breeding dogs particularly well… because not only are they going to take up an awful lot of your time, they are what you will pass onto future generations of wolfdogs, and will ultimately determine if the breed thrives or doesn’t.
Dharkwolf jest offline   Reply With Quote