View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 15:08   #9
draggar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael View Post
I think "Czechoslovakian vlcak" is a very good name to use in the US,
if "Wolfdog" was used, there would be problems for sure...
You have no idea how true that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebelwölfe View Post
Congratulations! Good working!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saschia View Post
I hope the club will be successful and work for the benefit of the breed and it's enthusiasts... I keep my fingers crossed for you.
I hope so, I'm trying to set the club off on the right foot. A high standard of ethics (ownership, training, and breeding), transparency, and promoting the dog.

Quote:
And I think using the word vlcak is OK, lot of us use different words that have origin in English, why could you not use more than one that originates in Czech? I hope the word Vlcak will get as popular and positive as Robot ;o)
I don't hope it becomes that popular - when a breed becomes more popular you start to get the severely negative element in the breed, unethical breeders, puppy mills, etc.. and with AKC's policy they'll accept just about anything (I'm sure i could register my cat as a purebred dog in AKC if I really wanted to).

As for the word, why not? Thst's what it is called. When people here think of a German shepherd they think of the garbage you see in the show ring and people tend not to believe me when I tell them Kiri is a purebred GSD so at times I just refer to her as a Deutsche Schäferhunde - they often think it is a new breed.

Quote:
Offtopic: By the way, the author of the word Robot, Karel Capek, wrote a beautiful children's story Dasenka - the life of a puppy. Dasenka is not a vlcak puppy, but a foxterier, but the story could almost be about vlcaks, if vlcak puppies would be willing to listen to stories about other breeds too ;o)
I've never had a fox terrier but I've noticed that some breeds have some of the charateristics of vlcaks, primarily more primitive breeds. We had a litter of Finnish Spitz puppies a few years ago and they are VERY primitive. While the GSD puppies didn't need to be with each other all the time the finkie puppies were *always* in a pack and "hunted" the other dogs (and cats) in a pack. It was like Wild Kingdom in our house! The GSD and malinois didn't prepare us for the vlcak but the Finnish Spitz did (except for the finkie's independence).
draggar jest offline   Reply With Quote