View Single Post
Old 14-07-2002, 20:23   #6
Baryonyx

Default Please help

In the United States, it is purely dependent upon state. We were the owners of the late
Ayak od Divisu, and we lived in New Jersey. There was absolutely no problems with him
here, since New Jersey law refuses regulation of wolf-dog hybrids, essentially
considering them as dogs under all circumstances. Other states have tremendously outdated
and downright nasty and hateful regulations (Virginia, Pennsylvania, North Dakota, New
York, New Hampshire, vermont, and Maine are examples)

Indiana's laws, curiously, don't seem to reflect what you're describing, unless my
reference has not added a law made up in the past 6 months. Here's what they have for
Indiana:

INDIANA

A Class III wild animal permit is required for each individual wolf. Additionally, a USDA
permit must be possessed by the owner for each wolf. Wolf Hybrids are not regulated by
the state and do not require a permit.

Indeed, Indiana is also one of the few states that actually allow people to own
full-blooded wolves!For more information on laws in the 50 states concerning wolves,
dogs, and wolf-dog hybrids, please use this link:

http://www.wolfdogalliance.org/legis...statelaws.html

This provides the most up-to-date references for state laws concerning wolves and
wolf-dog hybrids.

As for the situation in Italy, when I was in the Czech Republic researching the CsV in
2000, I bought a book by Ing. Karel Hartl, whom I recall was the originator of the breed.
I cannot remember the name of the book now, but my fiancee, who is Czech, read the book
and translated passages on the lineage of the CsV. I was satisfied by what I saw, and in
general, if (if I recall) all CsV's are genetically descended from 5th generation
wolf-dog crosses (that is a wolf and dog the first generation, and dogs for the next
four) the percentage of "wolf's blood" in most CsVs should not exceed 30%, and the
genetic lineage is more akin to the German Shepard than the CsV.

Whoever did that "research" sounds to me like a paid government stooge. While he is
technically correct in his assertion that a CsV could mate with a wild wolf, that is an
issue with each and every dog in Italy, not just the CsV. Each dog could potentially
violate the integrity of the wolves, and indeed has probably happened significantly in
the past. I hope cooler heads prevail.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Chris Behrens
Baryonyx jest offline   Reply With Quote